While I was in England for my cousin's wedding, I decided enough was enough. I needed to do something to get myself back in shape. Or should I say, put myself back in better shape.
Because "marshmallow" is not a shape I want to be. And that's exactly how I was feeling.
My friend, Kelly, had told me about the success she had with the running program Couch to 5K.
http://www.c25k.com/
Basically, it is designed to get you from the couch to running 30 minutes straight (or a 5K) in 9 weeks, exercising 3 days a week. Obviously, depending on your physical condition, it could take a bit longer. Right now, I am on week 5 and loving it.
I have never been one to love exercising. Hell, I have never even liked exercising. But, funny enough, I've always wanted to be a runner.
I've passed runners on the road, all fit and zooming by, and have had a small twinge of jealousy. And every time I hear of people finishing a marathon or some kind of timed run, a part of me wishes I would have the motivation enough to be one of those runners. Completing a challenge. All fit and running and all that. I never thought I could be a runner. I mean, I couldn't even run up the stairs without getting winded.
But that has all changed.
This program gives me the mini-goals I need to be a runner. Or at least a jogger, which is still way more than I ever thought I could be. Each week, they increase the running time and decrease the walking time. So far, I have been able to keep up with the program. I can run for 5 minutes straight without stopping. Thursday, they increase it to 8 minutes straight. Then, this weekend, it jumps to 20 minutes w/out walking. Yikes!
My goal is to run a 5K, which is just over 3 miles. Straight. Without stopping to walk. Once I get to that point, I want to decrease the time it takes me to do it. Then, I want to register for a 5K run, hopefully raising some money for one of my favorite charities, and finish it.
And, as an added bonus to all of this, my shape has begun to change. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm no longer marshmallow-shaped!
Sweet!
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I am glad that you have found a regimen that you like. Good luck. Proud of you!
Riz
liztentoriz.blogspot.com
Post a Comment