My mom was a Stay At Home Mom. She worked part-time at the local elementary school, but most of her day was spent with my brother and me. She did not drive, so she was pretty much stuck in the house. All. Day. Long.
I have no idea how she survived.
Sometimes, I'm not sure she did.
Anyway, when I was a kid and my mom was having one of "those days" that mom's tend to have, when it seemed like all she heard, all day long was:
Mom, what's for dinner?
Mom, where are my shoes?
Mom, did Rachel call for me?
Mom, can you come here a second?
Mom, did you wash my jeans?
Mom, can I go to So-and-So's house?
Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom???
MOM!!!
She would say to us,
I've changed my name. I'm no longer "Mom". And I'm not telling you what my new name is.
My brother and I would guess all of these random names, over and over, until we finally got sick of it and left her alone. Little did we know that she never really picked a name.
Her plan worked. All she wanted was some peace and quiet.
Mission accomplished.
I already have days like "that". Yesterday was a doozie.
The kids have been waking up at 6am. I'm not sure if it's their sleep schedule that's causing the early wake-up, their bladders waking them up, or the fact that it gets brighter a lot earlier now.
Who knows. But, whatever the reason, they wake up too freakin' early for me to start my day with two 2.5 year olds. Especially since we don't have to be anywhere at a certain time. It's just the three of us, hanging out at home.
It's still a bit too chilly to go out and play. And after the looooong winter we had, we're all itching to get out and burn some energy. Their actions yesterday made that apparent.
With the combination of waking early and having cabin fever, Connor and Sasha were at each other's throats. We were supposed to host a play date with my friends and their children. But, I ended up cancelling because the kids were so misbehaved. I didn't think they deserved to have their friends over.
They nagged at each other all day.
That's my sock! Don't look at it!
Don't touch my pants!
That's mine! Leave it alone!
I want to play with the Whatever-the-toy-of-the-moment-was.
MOM, MOM, MOM, MOM!!!!
I know that if my mom were still here she'd laugh, remembering all the times she heard the same thing.
Then, she'd tell me to change my name.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
What a sweet post. I only have one and sometimes she seems to say Mama just to hear her voice say it. Wants to be sure I am paying attention. Or, that I remember my name. Happy early birthday!
Post a Comment