Monday, May 11, 2009

The decision

We have decided to turn the toy room into Sasha's bedroom. We gave both of the kids the option of keeping it the toy room or moving her "next door" and they both agreed to move her. I keep explaining how it will be after she moves out and they seem to understand completely and are 100% on board with the move.

I wish I had known we were going to move her before we bought the paint. I had picked out a bright tangerine color (technically it's called Mandarin Orange) and some posters to match. I thought the bright orange would look nice against the white storage units we just bought.

If I had known she was going to move, I would have picked a different color. Something a lot easier to match with decorations for a girl's room. Yellow would have been nice, just maybe not as bright. I mean, this color is so bright, I swear my retinas were burning after I finished painting.

Sasha loves it, though, so I guess that's all that matters.

Have I posted about all of this before? I can't remember. This is what I get when I:
- Don't post as often as I should.
- Post when I'm trying to watch the kids and prevent them from trashing anything, like they did this weekend with my potted plant that dumped on their bin of wooden train tracks and dress up clothes.
- Post when I'm tired.

If I've mentioned this stuff about the toy room and paint color before, I apologize.

Anyway....

So, with the Mandarin Orange to work with, I bought her some new toddler bedding. It has red gingham, lady bugs and flowers on it. Very cute. Very girly.

I also bought Connor some new bedding. I didn't want him to feel like he was getting the raw end of the deal. I found some alphabet bedding that I know he'll love. I was worried it was too babyish, but my friend reassured me that he'll eventually move into a bigger bed and out of the toddler ABC bedding before I know it.

I'm not just getting them new bedding because I think it will help with the transition. I can't even tell you how many times the kids have woken up in the middle of the night, often more than once, asking us to cover them back up. Ugh. No matter how much we try, they just won't do it themselves.

They are currently using these quilted blankets our neighbor made for them when they were born. Man, have we gotten the use out of those! We used them as floor blankets when they were infants and now tuck them in with them. Thank you Cathi!

They are just big enough to tuck in between the bed and the wall, but I guess it's not enough to stay tucked for an entire night. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) having less wake up calls in the middle of the night. fingers crossed...

So, the room is done being painted. All that's left is to finish painting the trim and doors white and install the window frame. Then, I get to do all the fun decorating. I'm guessing it will all be done in about a month or so, the way Kim and I work.

I'm only kidding, of course.

Well, partially.

In other family news...
Yesterday was Mother's Day. I had a great day!
Saturday morning, the kids woke up at 7:40a. Considering Connor's been getting up at 5:55a lately, I pretty much counted that as part of my Mother's Day gift, even though it was on Saturday.

Sunday morning, Kim got up with the kids to make breakfast. I had put my menu request in the day before: Orange cinnamon rolls, fruit, bacon and orange juice. Yum.

Around 8:00, the kids came upstairs with my Mother's Day card and a bunch of hugs and kisses. Breakfast was ready.

The rest of the day was pretty relaxing. We went to TGIFriday's for lunch. Surprisingly, it was not busy at all.

When the kids were infants, we never went out for a meal. Ever. They were such a handful and had colic for almost 5 months. I don't think we started going out to eat with them, other than a rare occasion, until they were at least a year old.

Eating out with them is such a treat now, especially since they are potty trained. They order their own food, don't jump around in the booth, don't make (too much of) a mess, etc. We have conversations with them. They tell us when they have to go potty. It's awesome.

I completely enjoyed lunch with them. Such a shame Dustyn wasn't here. Although, he did call me to wish me a Mother's Day later on that night.

My "gift" was a necklace that I bought for myself last week. I'm not one that needs expensive gifts to show me how much my family appreciates and loves me. I know they do. I've always told Kim, "I'm a Subway girl. I don't need fancy restaurants."

All I want is a nice day with them. No chores. No stress. And the fact that Kim did the cooking and stuff is definitely a bonus! Just the fact that I get to celebrate Mother's Day as a Mother is a gift in itself. It truly is one of the best things anyone can experience.

My children may lead me to drink, nap or go crazy on any given day (sometimes all in the same day), but I love them to pieces and I know they love me back. I'm trying to appreciate each day as much as I can. Because tomorrow is never a promise.

I hope each of you enjoyed your Mother's Day as much as I did.

No comments: