Last Thursday, Kim was coming home from work when his car started overheating. It was about 83F and he was stuck in major rush-hour traffic. He had to shut the engine off at each red light he hit. He decided to take it to the local garage right away. They are very familiar with us and this car. I think we've spent at least $2,000 on repairs in the past year and a half.
In the middle of these repairs, Kim and I had talked about buying another car. We had put a cap on the amount we were willing to pay to fix a 10 year old car. We have now completely surpassed that cap.
Buying a new car is always easier said than done, especially when you're used to not having a car payment. We certainly don't have an extra $300-400 lying around that we don't know what to do with.
Hey! I know! Let's buy a new car! What else are we going to do with all this money?
But there comes a time in when enough is enough. Putting more money into repairs than a car is actually worth makes absolutely no sense. So we have begun looking for a new car for Kim.
Since our last two car purchases were Hyundai's (a Santa Fe and Entourage), I suggested we go see what Hyundai has. We love(d) our Hyundai's. We were very sad to get rid of the Santa Fe, but had no choice. We needed more room for our new family of five.
Hyundai's Sonata is roomy, affordable, and has great safety ratings. We just need to go check it out. Which means getting someone to watch the kids.
Anyone out there have any suggestions on other cars we can look at?
Because of this recent change in events, I'm pretty sure we've decided to wait on enrolling the kids in preschool until next year. We can take the money we were going to spend on preschool tuition and put it towards a car payment.
I am really bummed about this, but it's the best thing to do.
You can't have it all, can you?
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment