Yesterday I started painting the toy room. Well, what we currently call the toy room, that is. Kim and I are on the fence about making it Sasha's bedroom.
I'm so torn about this whole thing.
On one hand, I truly believe that Connor and Sasha love being together. They've been sleeping in the same room forever. Since the beginning...literally, when they were in the womb. I think about how I feel when Kim is out of town, sleeping in my bed alone. It sucks. I wonder if the kids would feel the same way if they had separate bedrooms.
But then again, I think that they are waking each other up and aren't getting enough sleep as they could or should be. This morning was a good example of this:
Connor woke up at 5:55a. I brought him to the bathroom to pee and shuffled him back to bed, reminding him to stay quiet and not wake his sister. Sasha was still sound asleep. She had a rough night and woke a few times, so she was pretty tired.
Around 6:15a, I heard Connor yelling, "SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!!!" over and over, trying to wake up Sasha. I went in there and told him to be quiet.
Sasha had woken up and wasn't pleased about it. She obviously wanted to stay asleep.
He came into my room around 6:40a. Sasha was still sleeping. I kept him in my room and popped on the television for him, while I got a bit more sleep.
Sasha stayed in bed until 7:15a. She was so tired.
Bedtime and naptime aren't any better. Kim and I are often telling them to keep quiet or "you'll wake your brother/sister!" We wonder if separating them would improve their sleep habits. I know they're overtired.
So, we decided to give it a try. After we finish the painting and recarpeting, we'll move Sasha's bed in the room. Just to see how it goes. I don't want to go all gangbusters on the decorating and stuff just to find out that it was a bad mistake.
But....then again, shouldn't I make this special for her? Get her excited about "her own room"? Decorate it just for her? I dunno, I dunno.
I asked the kids if they wanted this room to be the toy room or Sasha's bedroom and they both said, "Sasha's bedroom." I explained to them that this meant they would be sleeping in separate bedrooms; that Sasha's bed would be in here and Connor's bed would be in there. They both understood.
Sasha keeps calling it "my bedroom" and is very excited to bring all of her friends (a.k.a. stuffed animals) in there. She is dying to sleep in there. Connor has no interest.
I mentioned before that I'm a very indecisive person. This is a perfect example of that. I have no idea what to do. What is the right thing to do? What will be best for them?
I guess only time will tell.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Wow! I think about this a lot too. Especially since we're looking to sell our home and get one w/ more bedrooms. To separate, or not? Sasha sounds excited, so I say go gangbusters on it! Being boy/girl, you're going to have to do it one day anyway. Maybe the younger they are, the easier it will be. After a while, they won't remember any differently.
Post a Comment