Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The doors

Last night, I was not motivated to cook breakfast, especially with Kim being out of town. So, I did was most mothers would do in this situation. I fed them cereal for dinner.

Connor and Sasha love cereal. And, I'm not talking about Puffy Yummo's or Rings of Sugar or Zippity Do Dah's. We give our kids Chex, Raisin Bran, Cheerios, Special K and Crispie Rice (a.k.a. Rice Krispies).

I can't stand Crispie Rice. These little puffy grains get logged with milk and stick to everything. You can't just wipe them up because they crumble and smear all over the table. They stick to clothes, hair, the kitchen chairs, you name it. And, unfortunately, my kids love it.

So, yesterday, when I was "cooking" dinner, I asked Connor what kind of cereal he'd like.

Crispie Rice.

Oh, honey, I don't think we have Crispie Rice. (lying through my teeth)

The doors have Crispie Rice.

'The doors have Crispie Rice'??

Yes.

And then I realized what he meant.

"The doors" = The pantry

Normally when I speak of the pantry with the kids it's:
Please close the doors.
Don't open those doors.
Watch out for the doors.

It made perfect sense.

And, just for the record, Connor was right. We did have Crispie Rice in the pantry. But, I suggested Raisin Bran instead and he changed his mind.

They each had 3 bowls of the stuff.

No comments: