We talked about it a lot the week before, telling them what to expect. They didn't need to be scared, they'd be cleaning their teeth just like we do at home, they'd be laying in a chair, etc.
Their first appointment, last summer, wasn't exactly smooth. Sasha was totally freaked out and the only reason the dentist was able to look in her mouth was because she was screaming so loudly. Connor did pretty well, but was unsure of the whole thing. They didn't get any cleanings, just a check up to see how things were coming along, counting teeth, etc.
So, I think in the days leading up to this appointment, Kim and I were more nervous than Connor and Sasha were. We didn't want a repeat of appointment #1.
Each of the kids got their own chair, which they sat in and laid down without a fight.
They were given their choice of flavors: mint, cherry or orange. Sasha chose cherry. Connor chose orange.
They both got a mirror to hold so they could see what was being done in their mouths.
Sasha loved the suction-straw-thingy and the water gun.
She looks a bit uncomfortable here, but I think I just caught her mid-blink. Or maybe she's thinking, "You really want me to smile with this thing in my mouth? Why are you taking pictures?"
Kim kept holding her hands, but there really was no need to. Again, I think he was more nervous than she was.
When it was all over, I couldn't believe how well they were! It was amazing! They loved it! They were pros! Phew!I am so happy and relieved. Growing up, I was petrified of the dentist. We rarely went for our 6 month check-ups, so when we did go it meant cavities and fillings. Yuck. It has taken me a long, long time to overcome this fear and start going regularly.
So, it is very important to me to start Connor and Sasha off on the right foot with the dentist. I really don't want them to be afraid or have dental issues. They need to know that taking care of your teeth is just as important as eating the right foods or playing safely.
Now, they keep talking about the dentist. I'm pretty sure they'd go once a week if we'd let them. Our next appointment is this summer.


1 comment:
yay! glad to hear it went well! hope i can say the same in a few weeks. what dentist?
Post a Comment