Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When life hands you lemons...

Slice them up and put them in some hot tea with honey.

*cough* *cough*

Ugh. The kids and I have come down with the cold from Hell. Seriously. I can't remember the last time I felt this horrible. Maybe after delivering the twins and I was coming off the Mag Sulfate.

Last Thursday, Sasha and I came down with what I thought was the flu. We both had major head colds and I was throwing up. A day or so later, Connor was also sick. Luckily, neither of them have thrown up (knock wood). But, we all have these crazy coughs.

*sniffle* *sniffle* (blowing my nose)

These coughs are painful and relentless. Once they start, they continue in a series of coughs one, right after another, until you're gasping for air.

Sunday night, I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. It hurt so bad. I lay in bed, listening to the kids cough. Kim and I decided we'd take them into sick call the next morning. He was scheduled to fly out to Ohio later that day.

So, Monday morning, we all got dressed and headed out. As per a typical Monday sick call in winter, the waiting room was packed. Luckily we were seen fairly quickly. Fast forward through all the exam & testing...

The kids were diagnosed with RSV.
http://children.webmd.com/tc/respiratory-syncytial-virus-rsv-infection-topic-overview

When the kids were infants, they needed shots to prevent them from getting RSV. It is highly contagious and could have hospitalized them, especially since they were preemies.

Anyway, when the doctor told us, I called my doctor and made an appointment. Kim ended up cancelling his trip. I got medicine to help with my symptoms. And we all spent the next 48 hours together at home, with me sleeping most of the time.

If Kim hadn't been able to cancel his business trip, I don't know how I would have made it with the kids on my own. I was that sick. They are that sick. If he hadn't stayed home to take care of us, I doubt I'd be feeling half as good as I do now, which isn't that great, but loads better than before.

As for the kids, their colds are going to sick around for quite some time. I'm assuming mine will, too. Probably another 1-2 weeks. They are miserable, especially Connor. They both have the painful cough, serious runny noses, loss of appetite, the works. Connor is scared to blow his nose now because it's so raw. I've been putting Vaseline on it, but it doesn't seem to help with the constant dribble.

I can't wait to feel better. I can't wait for the kids to feel better. But, I gotta tell ya, the timing couldn't have been more perfect. We leave for Tucson in 16 days. Thank goodness we didn't get this cold later in the month. As long as we're healthy by the time we leave, I can take the next two weeks.

And then it will all be a distant memory when I'm sitting in the sun, with a drink in my hand, watching the kids play in the fresh Arizona air.

Aaaaaahhhhh.

*cough*

2 comments:

Toni C. said...

:( sick suck!

Laney said...

Yikes Lauren, rsv?? I'm so sorry that you've all been so sick, but like you said, better now than a couple weeks. Feel better guys!