I am seriously considering getting rid of my van and downsizing to a car. I do love our van and the roominess of it, but I wonder if it's almost too big for us now.
We owned a small SUV (a Hyundai Santa Fe) before we got the van. Aaaaah...we loved that SUV. We were virtually in tears when we traded it in. No joke. It was like saying goodbye to a good friend. But, once the kids grew out of their infant carriers and went to their convertible car seats, there was no longer room in the back for Dustyn. He literally had to sit in the trunk whenever we went anywhere.
So, after much discussion and persuasion on my part, and a minor fender-bender while Dustyn was IN the trunk, we agreed to get a van (a Hyundai Entourage).
Can you tell we like Hyundai? Kim drives an Azera.
Anyway, Dustyn doesn't live here anymore. So, there is no longer a need for an extra seat. Sure, he comes to visit. My aunt and uncle visit, too. But, there's no reason we couldn't drive two cars if we all needed to go somewhere. The other 330+ days of the year, those extra seats in the van are sitting unused.
I'll tell you what IS being used: GAS. The van sucks up gas like crazy. Obviously a smaller vehicle would be much better on my wallet.
And, when it comes down to it, I'm sick of driving such a big vehicle. I want something smaller and new. I enjoy driving Kim's car.
The main thing I worry about is going from a huge van, where the kids can stand and put their coats on, to a car. I wonder if it's going to be a tight squeeze. Too tight.
I talked to some friends, who each have three children, and they said, "Go for it!" I figure, if anyone would know if it's a dumb idea, it would be someone with children. Especially ones that drive a lot. Plus, these friends wouldn't steer me wrong. They tell me like it is.
Love it when you have a friend that is comfortable telling you the truth and knows you'll still love them no matter what they say.
So, my plan right now is to put the car seats in Kim's car and drive that for a bit. His Azera is about the same size as the Sonata I'm itching to buy. I figure, after a few days (or minutes?) I'll know if it's an insane idea or not.
Stay tuned!
Saturday, January 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment