When I started a couple years ago, I had no idea how much I would enjoy it. I always saw "those people" running on the side of the road, sweating, panting, etc. and feel twinges of jealousy. I wanted to be a Runner, but I loathed exercise. Growing up, you would see me with a sketchbook in my hand instead of participating in sports.
I began running to lose weight and tone up that "marshmallow" look I had begun getting. Thru a friend's recommendation, I started the C25K program. I was amazed at how quickly my body started changing. I didn't have much weight to lose, but I was losing it! And I had calf muscles! That were visible!! It was awesome!
Not only that, but I found myself actually enjoying running. I started looking forward to lacing up my shoes and hitting the pavement. I was amazed.
Me? Enjoying running? But, isn't this....exercise??
The thing is, at a some point, it stopped being exercise and turned into a lifestyle. I was logging miles I never thought possible. I ran a few races. I subscribed to Runners World magazine. I talked about it all the time. I loved running. I was a Runner.
And then, for some reason, I stopped running.
The last time I ran was April 2011. April. Almost an entire year has passed since I felt that rush from completing a run. Since I pushed myself so hard I nearly threw up. Since I cleared my head and felt peaceful.
April. Ugh.
I'm not sure why so much time has passed. I do know I thought about running all the time. But, thoughts aren't actions.
So, this week, I started the C25K program again. During my runs (well, mostly "walks" right now), I've cramped up, had trouble breathing, and forced myself to hop on the treadmill (a.k.a. dreadmill) when all I wanted to do was sit on the couch in my pj's. But, after each of those runs, I've felt awesome. Happier. My head a bit clearer.
This Christmas, a friend gave me this beautiful bracelet:
I LOVE it.
It reminds me where I used to be when I was a Runner. "Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat."
Brilliant.
That is exactly the mindset I had before I stopped running. I want to get there again. I WILL get there. It's gonna suck, but I am determined. I'm going to keep wearing my bracelet and keep running.


5 comments:
Nice blog! Getting back into it doesn't have to suck. Try taking the pressure off and making your runs fun adventures (I'm not sure that's possible on the dreadmill). Anyway, congratulations and keep it up!
awww! love that you shared the bracelet that I gave you! I may order one for myself. I don't love running like you but I am doing the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon on January 29th! I signed up with a bunch of friends...some will run, some will walk and I'll do the run/walk thing :)
Why did you stop running? I've never loved running myself, but I like myself better when I'm in a running phase! Are you running outside?! How do you do that (in the winter?) That was always MY big wall - running outside in the winter.
Good luck with running! Independence Grove has a 5K in early April, I think! It's a beautiful place for a race....
Thanks, Jim!
I think the "sucky" part comes from knowing where I used to be and trying to get there again. (This mainly pertains to my breathing while running.) I'm very competitive with myself and do put a lot of pressure on myself, but no worries! I will enjoy it!
I normally run along the lakefront & it is so beautiful and inspiring. But, it's more convenient to be on the treadmill right now. I'll get out there soon! Thanks for your support!
Anne,
I've no idea why I stopped running. I needed to take a break after my surgery and was so excited to get back into it after getting the green light from my dr. I ran a couple times, but never on a regular basis. Then I just stopped.
I looove running outside (loathe the treadmill) and will go out as long as it's over 10*, even with snow. I have Yaktrax which give me traction and allow me to run on snow with no problem.
My very first 5K was run at IG! It's a great course!
Post a Comment