Friday, January 13, 2012

Vroom! Vroom!

Boy, have the past few days been busy! Let's see...

Kim and I made the decision to definitely get rid of the van & buy a car. So, Monday he went to CarMax to see what they'd give us for the van as opposed to trading it in when we bought the car from the other dealership. As it turned out, selling it to them would put $3,500 in our pockets.

Yahooie!!

There's no way we would've gotten that much if we had traded it in, so we agreed to go with CarMax's offer, which was only good for seven days.

No problem.

We decided to go back to CarMax Thursday (yesterday), get rid of the van, and go car shopping Friday morning while the kids were in school. Easy peasy.

Well, that is until we saw the weather forecast for Thursday.

They were predicting 8" of snow Thursday into Friday, with up to 35mph winds. Good times. Being the snow veterans that we are, we knew that the roads would be a disaster. This is our first significant snowfall this winter and the first snowfall is normally the worst when it comes to driving. Even with 3", people would be driving like morons.

So, this put us in a bit of a situation. We had two choices:
1. Go Wednesday. Kim was working from home & could take the rest of the day off. The kids could stay at his folks house while we bought the new car. But, this meant Sasha would have to miss ballet. I knew she would be devastated to miss dance.

2. Wait until Saturday. We couldn't go on Friday because the lot & all the cars would be covered with snow. Test driving would be less than fantastic because of the snowy roads. But, we weren't even sure if everything would be cleaned up by Saturday. And, they were closed on Sunday. And, we only had until Monday for the offer on the van from CarMax. And, what if it snowed again by then????? And what would the new offer from CarMax be if we waited a week or so??? AND.....

I'm kidding. There are no more "and's".

I made the decision that Sasha would have to miss ballet and we needed to do all of this Wednesday afternoon/night. I felt awful about her missing dance, but I didn't think there was another option.

So, Kim went to CarMax and did the van thing while I picked the kids up from school. Sasha cried her eyes out when I told her about ballet. I felt like the worst parent ever.

Anyway, The plan was: go get Kim from CarMax, sign some papers, drop kids off at the inlaws, go get the new car, be home at a reasonable time.

It all went to plan. Well, except for being home at a reasonable time. We were at the dealership for over SIX HOURS.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase that:
over six FUCKING hours!!!

Sorry for the F Bomb, but holy moly. I'm not even going to get into the whole thing. At least not right now. Let's just say, I hate that place and am never going there again.

The good news is that I DID buy a car that I loooooove! And we got a good deal on it. Our monthly payments are much lower than before and I can't wait to see what kind of gas mileage I get.

So, here it is:
Isn't she purdy? I snapped this picture when they brought it into the service area so we could look at it in the light and out of the cold. It's a 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo.

I'm glad we went on Wednesday instead of waiting for the weekend. We got it done and over with before the snow arrived.

I do a happy dance in my brain whenever I look at this picture. Or get in my car. Or think about it. Happy happy!

No comments: