Around this time of year, I begin hibernating. This wasn't much of an issue when I was working full time and got out of the house every day. It pretty much forced me to socialize and interact with others.
But now that I'm home, with no appointments to make me get out, a week can go by before I realize I haven't stepped foot out of the house for anything other than walking down the drive to get the mail. And, if it's snowy, I might not even do that.
Not only do I not go places, but I begin separating myself from everyone. I don't follow up with emails as quickly, if at all. I make less phone calls. I'm just not motivated. I think it's the combo of the cold weather and shorter days that just affects me.
I truly hate the cold.
This can become a major issue with two 2 year olds and two big dogs under the same roof. I think we're all getting a bit stir crazy. And winter isn't even technically here yet. Crap.
This didn't seem to pose a major problem until this year. The first year the kids were around, they were teeny tinies that just ate, cried, pooped and cried some more. Last year, they had just turned one and were content to hang out in the house. Now, they ask me almost daily, "Pay outside, Mommy? Pay outside?"
They are full of energy. They love to run and play outside. They're two. Typical two year olds.
If we had any extra money, I'd enroll them in some sort of class at the park district. This would force us to get out of the house at least once a week. But, unfortunately, with two of them, the cost of registration is probably more than we should be paying right now. We have more pressing financial priorities, you know?
Like helping Dustyn pay his rent because he can't find work in California. *sigh* But, that's a whole other post.
I need to find a way to drag my butt out of the house and do things with these kids. They deserve it. They enjoy it. Heck, I enjoy it once we're out of here. It's just my nature to stay inside if it's cold outside.
We went outside to play for about 40 minutes today. We were all bundled up like little eskimoes. No, we didn't have mittens, hats and scarves on. Just winter coats. But, it's 54F. Granted, it is super-windy, which makes it feel much colder. But, could we have been more pathetic? I was all for staying outside and sucking it up when the kids decided it was time to come in. I guess they're just as chicken about the cold as I am.
Should make for a sweet winter.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I'm in the same boat honey! Here's some of the free things I've found so far...
1. public library...reading programs and just to hang out.
2. Borders/barnes & nobles have reading time.
3. Some of the more upscale toy stores have play areas... it's something different.
4. Play areas at your local mall.
5. Chuck E. Cheese - they have the climby things you don't have to pay for...
I'm sure there's more - we'll just have to keep each other sane through this winter - good luck!
Post a Comment