In three weeks, I will be walking my nearly three year old twins through the doors at the preschool for the very first time. They're very excited. We've been talking about it a lot.
I've noticed that Connor and Sasha do fairly well in new situations as long as they are educated about it. If they have some sort of prep beforehand, they're cool. But, if I forget to give them (or, more specifically, Connor) a heads up, the result could be catastrophic. Kinda like when we arrived at the reunion.
The reunion was held at a community center. There was a big building with tables and chairs all set up. When we walked in, the first people we saw were Kim's uncles. They were standing around, welcoming everyone and handing out raffle tickets. When Connor saw them standing there, he freaked. FREAKED!
He didn't want to go near anyone, not even his Paw Paw. He kept saying, "I'm scared!!! I'm scared!!!" It was not a pretty picture. Once he got his bearings, he was fine. But we had to take him out of the building, calm him down and let him play on the playground before bringing him back in. The second time around, he was fine. I think partly because he knew what to expect.
When we travel, or go somewhere new, I tell them what to expect. And what I expect from them. So when we arrive at Wherever The Place May Be, all's good.
We went to the library today. I finally got a library card! We normally go to another, newer library in the town south of us. But, we're not in their district so I couldn't get a card through them. I had to go to the (much) older library in the town north of us. We're in their district. I can use the card at both libraries.
Oh, and yes, my town is too small to have their own library. We don't have our own high school, either. We have a Taco Bell and Burger King, though! Oh, wait. I think the Burger King is technically in the town south of us.
Ok, so we have a Taco Bell. Who needs a public school/library when you have Taco Bell?
Anyway, while the kids were playing in the library, I was looking for books on starting school. I found a great one named: "D.W.'s Guide to Preschool." by Marc Brown.
Sasha had me read it to her four times in a row. She loves it! Connor loves it, too. And I think it's really helping them picture this whole school thing, especially the part where Mommy drops us off and leaves.
But, wait! She comes back, too!!
This is probably one of the main things I've been discussing with them. The fact that school is for kids, not parents. Mommies and Daddies (and others) drop children off at school and come back for them when it's over.
My hopes are that by talking about it with them they will know what to expect and it won't be as scary for them. Because they've never been left alone anywhere like this. With strangers. In a strange building.
And, man, I don't want a repeat of the reunion. So I sure hope this works!
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I know ... I'm so nervous about the boys and their first day of preschool on September 10th. It's at our church, so I'm hoping it will be familiar to them and they don't turn into cling wrap.
Post a Comment