Monday, August 3, 2009

Squints

On Saturday, the four of us went to the eye doctor. This was the kids' first eye exam.
I'm sure most people don't take their children to an eye doctor until much later in life, but I wanted to be proactive instead of reactive with the whole thing. Practically everyone in our family wears glasses and my mother had a long list of eye troubles.

In my opinion, getting your eyes checked on a regular basis is just as important as going to the dentist.

Plus, lately I've noticed Connor squinting a lot. I wasn't sure if it was just a crazy habit or if he was actually trying to see better. I assumed the latter and off we went.

Turns out, my gut was right. Connor does need glasses. In fact, his eyesight is just a smidge worse than mine. Now, my eyesight isn't that bad. But, I'm 32. He's not even three.

Part of me is really happy we found this out now, especially before school starts. He'll be able to see so much better and, I'm assuming, will be thrilled about it. Who wouldn't? But, a small bit of me is pretty sad about the whole thing. I mean, he's three! I can only guess what his eyesight will be when he is older.

I know, I know...it's not that I think my kid is "tarnished" or not perfect anymore (not that I thought he was perfect before, but you know what I mean.) It just stinks that he ended up with the crappy eyesight gene and needs glasses for the rest of his life.

It's no fun having glasses!

Well, unless you're wearing ones like these:

Then it's a freakin' riot.

No comments: