Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Deep thoughts.

Since Sasha has had a history of car sickness, the kids have never been allowed to read, play games, watch movies, etc. in the car. (With the exception of long car rides where I can be there to hand her a bag, if needed.) As I've mentioned before, it is a 25 minute drive to their school. With no tv, books or games, this gives a lot of time for a 5yo to have some pretty deep thoughts.

Sasha is normally the one speaking those thoughts. And, true to Sasha's energetic personality, she just fires them off as they pop in her brain. Most of the time, Sasha is a "leap before you look" kid. She has her reservations and fears, but definitely doesn't dip one toe in the water. She bellyflops in. Especially when it comes to what she's thinking.

Most of my mornings consist of Sasha saying random things to me every five minutes or so, depending on how tired she is.

Mama? That sign said 'green'.

Mama? Today is Wednesday. I have ballet.

Mama? The sun is behind the clouds.

Mama? My shirt has sparkles on it.

And one of this morning's:
Mama? If someone is upside down and you're not, and they look at you, you will look upside down to them!

Connor and I agreed. Then the kids laughed about being upside down.

Upside down is funny.

Then, there's Connor. My really deep thinker. My old soul.
This boy was born thinking of how things work and ways to improve them.

Connor doesn't just blurt out whatever thought crosses his head at that moment. He really thinks about it for a while. And, if he can't figure out an answer, he will ask. It's amazing he doesn't turn to his sister and just yell, "Will you just stop talking for one minute???!!!"

He just sits there and listens. Or maybe he doesn't listen. Maybe he has figured out how to tune her out. Anyway...

This morning, he says to me:
Mom? How do people make other people?

"How do people make other people?"?

SUCH a Connor question! Not, "Where do babies come from?" or "How do babies get in the Mommy's tummy?" But, "How do people make other people?".

I know he's been thinking about this for a day or so. We briefly talked about it the other day. And, I know he can't figure it out. I'm pretty sure it's driving him crazy.

I've never lied to them or made up stories about anything because I felt they were too young to hear the truth. Ask a legitimate question, get a legitimate answer. It's only fair to them.

Fortunately for me, we were just pulling into the parking lot when he asked me. So, it buys me some time to figure out how I'm going to explain this so my 5yo's can understand it.

Oy. These kids! I swear, they keep me on my toes.

No comments: