Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mom

Today is the 10th anniversary of my mom's passing.

I have started this post a couple times, not really knowing what to say. I don't want to get all mushy for fear I'll burst into tears all over the keyboard. So, I guess I'll keep it sweet and simple and not make this too much of a Dear Diary entry.

This picture was taken when I was born. You can tell it's me by the big nose.
Connor had the same nose when he was born.
Look at the joy in her face!

I love this picture. You can just feel the love she had for me.
Good to know my face grew into my nose, too.
There's not a day that passes that I don't think of my mom. I wish she were here to hold the kids the way she was holding me in the pictures above. She would have loved to have been a grandmother. Especially to twins!

I wish she could have walked me down the aisle with my dad. Or saw me buy my first house. I wish I could call her when I need to talk. Or take her to the movies every now and then.

My mom was a wonderful person who had a very hard life. She faced so many challenges, yet kept on smiling.

She was creative, intelligent, artistic, caring, a good listener, and probably the strongest person I've ever met, although I didn't know it when she was alive. That's the problem with youth. You don't always realize what's going on around you and you definitely don't appreciate the truly good things you have. At least I didn't.

I love you, Mom. Thank you for being my Mom.
Neener, neener on your knee.

4 comments:

Valerie23 said...

Wow Lauren! You look exactly like your mother! Those are great pictures. I feel the same way about my grandma. She's been gone 11 years now and I wish she had been there for my wedding and to meet the wonderful man that I married and see the 2 beautiful children we had together. I find comfort in knowing that she is watching over us and I feel she is the guardian angel protecting Addison and Amarah as I'm sure your mother is for your family. Ok, now I have tears in my eyes.

Toni C. said...

Such a beautiful post Lauren. I love the pictures of you and your mom. You are right, you can feel the love she has for you. I wish you peace on this day, and every day. Hugs those beautiful kiddos for me!

Laney said...

That was a lovely tribute to your mom. Those pictures are great! You guys look alike... you, your mom, the kids!

misstj said...

aww! what a great post. *hugs* to you on what must be a tough day! (even tho the hugs are late!!) you do look so much like her!