Monday, March 16, 2009

Success! Well, kinda.

This potty training thing is exhausting.

I feel like I'm following two puppies around my house. Except, whenever one of them begins to pee or poo, instead of rushing them outside, like I would with a puppy, we rush to the toilet.

Sometimes there is a puddle. Sometimes there isn't.

So, I've pretty much resigned my day to watching the kids' hiney's and the floor beneath them for the better part of my day. This means I don't get much....well, ok, I don't get any time to go online while they play.

Yeah, I could probably come on here and post something during their nap. But, honestly, I'm so exhausted from cleaning up potty messes all day that all I want to do is nap myself.

At night, Kim and I flop down on the couch and veg until we've had our share of mind-melting television. Then we go to bed.

My life is so very exciting these days.

Can you feel the sarcasm?

In all seriousness, the kids have both improved in the week we've been doing this. The puddles are few and far between. They definitely hold it longer. They tell me when they have to go, for the most part, at least. Now, if I can just get them to be patient enough to let themselves poop on the toilet, we'll be good to go.

Sunday, we met my cousin and his family for lunch. It was a beautiful day, definitely a sign that the weather is turning the corner around here. I think we actually survived the Winter from Hell!

It was an hour drive to the restaurant. We were armed with:
- 3 extra pairs of pants for each child.
- 4 extra pairs of underwear for each child. (Actually, it's not a "pair" of underwear, is it? Why do we call it that?)
- 1 extra shirt for Sasha. A.K.A. Little Miss Carsick.
- 2 pull-ups for each child.
- Wipes
- Portable toilet seat to put on the public toilet to make it toddler-hiney-friendly.
- Portable toilet for the van. (More about this thing later.)

I felt like we were going to battle. But, I have learned from experience that it's better to be an over-prepared mom than an under-prepared one. I have had to do many things to get by until we make it home before. I didn't want to do that this time.

They stayed dry the entire ride there. Sasha peed when we arrived. Connor didn't.
Later in lunch, Kim took Connor to the toilet and he went.

They were awesome. Definitely surpassed all of my expectations. I was SO proud of them.

We left lunch two hours later, as two dry and happy kids with two very happy parents. There wasn't a single accident all afternoon. They even made it home without an issue.

Success!!

No comments: