When Dustyn moved out, he pretty much took everything with him. What he didn't take he either threw out or stored in the basement. The only thing left in his bedroom was his bed. He took the spare twin bed we had in the basement.
So, it wasn't very difficult for Kim and me to transform his room into something else. Something we needed. It was valuable space & Dustyn understood.
The kids were outgrowing their cribs and were going to be put in their toddler beds shortly after they turned two. Their toys were taking over the first floor and their bedroom. I wanted to move the toys out of their bedroom when they went into toddler beds so they could focus on sleeping instead of playing.
It was clear that they needed a toy room. A play room. A black hole. Whatever you want to call it.
So, we turned Dustyn's old room into a guest room/office. This way, when Dustyn or any other guests spend time here, they'll have plenty of room to breathe, store their things, and either set up their laptops or use our computer privately.
Across the hall is the old office/guest room. We decided to make this the kids' toy room. Ideally, the toy room would be on the first floor, but we've discussed it over and over and there is no way around it.
This is to be the toy room until:
1. The kids go into twin beds and separate rooms.
2. The kids go into twin beds and share one room (the office).
We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
So, for now, I'm trying to decorate and, most importantly, organize the toy room.
Originally, I thought I wanted a soft, calming color on the walls. Sky blue. Light yellow. Sage. But, I've been reading a lot about decorating play rooms and most of what I've read says to cater the paint & decorating to the child's personality.
And two 2 year olds are anything but "soft and calming." They are loud, vibrant and energetic.
I've asked the kids what color they think the walls should be and the answers I've been given are:
Yellow
Green
Blue
Red
Brown
White
Not so surprisingly, Sage wasn't mentioned.
On another note....
The potty training is going very well. Today is an awesome day. They have both kept their underwear clean and dry all day!! I can't tell you how happy this makes me.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment