Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Potty Training

Gulp.

I've talked and talked about this for months. Probably over a year, in fact. I've talked about it so much that I'm sick and tired of talking about it.

Without going on and on, let me first say that I know the kids are ready. They are. Just trust me on this one.

Right before the Cold from Hell began, I started focusing on potty training them. Then, on Day Two, we all got super-sick and everything fell apart. Then we got busy preparing for our vacation. Then we went on vacation. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

But, now we're back. No more excuses. These kids are ready and I, um, well I am, too.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Not sure what I'm scared of. It'll be great to not have to buy pull-ups anymore. It'll be nice to downsize my diaper bag. I guess I'm nervous of the actual training itself.

You see, I'm very much a black and white kinda person. There's not much grey. And, since potty training isn't "textbook", I'm having a hard time figuring out how to approach it. I've asked friends, read a couple books, done research online, you name it. But, since each child is different, there is no cut and dry way of doing this. Not like changing a diaper, that is. That's pretty cut and dry.

So yesterday I told the kids that they could start wearing underwear. Holy smokes were they excited!! They ripped off their pull-ups and immediately put on their undies. Then, they proceeded to bounce around the kitchen in happiness.

I keep telling them that they need to keep their undies 'clean and dry'. And, honestly, they're doing pretty well. I can already see a difference in their behavior. They have begun starting to pee a tiny bit and then stop so they can go to the bathroom and finish.

Yea!

So, here we go. Potty training the twins.

Should be interesting. Especially since we have lunch plans to meet my cousin & his family on Sunday. Do you think the kids will be pretty much ready for a lunch out with no pull-ups?

Or, more importantly...
Do you think Kim and I will be ready for it?

Stay tuned!
Yikes!

1 comment:

Got Triplets? said...

You are a braver woman that I! And you know I totally get you on the "black and white" thing! :-)

I'm putting off training the boys until the summer time when we are in shorts, and I can keep them outside more to avoid the accidents in the house.