Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How I'm feeling

It's been about a month since I started a gluten-free lifestyle. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. The bloating, nausea, digestion issues, constant fatigue, etc. all GONE!!

I feel so much more balanced now. It's amazing how one thing like gluten can affect the body.

It hasn't been super-easy, but not as difficult as I expected either. Going out to eat is a challenge, though. I need to be more assertive when ordering my food and stressing the importance of my disease. I can really tell when I've eaten something with gluten in it. What used to be just a "normal way of feeling" now makes sense to me. It's not normal at all! People shouldn't feel sick after they eat. I never realized that because it was always how I felt. But, somewhere in the back of my mind I always felt something was wrong.

So far, we've had gluten free lasagna & penne pasta. They were delicious! Kim and Dustyn had seconds and thirds!

I have yet to travel down the gluten free bread route and I'm starting to miss it terribly. I love sandwiches. Right now, I take a lettuce leaf and roll it up with some meat and cheese for lunch. It works, but just isn't the same.

I have purchased some gluten free beer. And, while it's not the same as my old stand-by, it works. And, once again, it's nice to not feel bloated and ill after drinking one. I never realized what it was gluten that made me feel so miserable.

And the gluten free pretzels are much better than the regular ones!

Thinking about living this way for the rest of my life is a bit overwhelming. I'm just taking it one bit at a time. And so far it's worked well. I don't remember the last time I felt this good.

If you, or anyone you know, are having digestive issues or other symptoms that you think are odd, if you're living with symptoms that you know aren't normal, I suggest going to your doctor. Get tested for Celiac Disease or a gluten intolerance. It might be the best thing you've ever done.

2 comments:

Toni C. said...

I'm so happy that it's working for you!

Gabrielle said...

Awesome! This is fantastic news :)