We had a great holiday yesterday and are trying to recover today. I'll write all about it and post some pictures tomorrow, but for now I'll leave you with this...
I registered Connor and Sasha in preschool for the fall. They will be attending school two mornings a week from 9:00-11:30. Right now, the days they will be going are up in the air. I requested Monday & Wednesday, but apparently there is only one open slot on Mondays. So, the woman that called me said she would call some families to see if they'd be able/willing to move to the Friday class to open up another slot on Monday. If not, then the kids will be going to school on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Did you get all that?
I'm really interested to see how they react to being dropped off at school, especially Connor. I wouldn't call him shy, but more introverted. When he's unsure of someone or a situation, he likes to lay back and observe. He's always been a thinker. And he has absolutely no issues with playing by himself. He rarely clings to my legs and hides from people. He just stands there and checks them out.
Sasha is practically the opposite. Sometimes she is quiet, but for the most part she is social and has no problem saying, "Hello" to strangers. Most of the time, she'll give Connor a shove towards the person they're meeting.
But, surprisingly enough, Connor is the leader of the pair. When they're playing or hanging out she follows his lead most of the time. Connor is the instigator; the brains of the operation.
On their first day of school, parents are supposed to stay. The kids are very excited about school. And, honestly, I'm pretty excited for them. It will be so neat to see them make new friends, learn new things, get out on their own.
I know I'll be teary-eyed and a bit anxious to drop them off and leave them in the hands of complete strangers. Where I won't be able to keep an eye on them, make sure they mind their manners, play nicely and share, and aren't complete spazzes, running around like a bunch of monkeys. This will be a growing/learning process for all of us.
Our children are growing up. And, it's not the fact that they're no longer babies that makes me weep. It's that these are the moments I dreamed of before we had children. The first day of school. The dance recitals. The holiday music sung by a bunch of squeaky 5 & 6 year olds.
I am sooo looking forward to it.
Oh, that and the extra 2.5 hours of child-free time I'll have two days a week!
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment