Thursday, July 30, 2009

Coming down

The initial shock of Deana's death has passed. And while I'm still taking it pretty hard emotionally, there comes a time after everyone's passing that life begins again. "Normal" has to come back.

So, I'm ready to start posting some fun stuff again.

On to the road trip story...

I won't bore you with all the details about our 6 hour car rides. But, let's just say that planning for this trip was very difficult since Sasha tends to get very car sick.

Our children never read books, play with toys, watch DVD's, color, etc. in the car to prevent her from getting car sick. Normally this is ok, even with a 90 minute drive. But being in the car for much longer proved challenging.

I did stuff like, have Sasha count how many clouds she saw in the sky.

And Connor did goofy stuff like this with Bear:

And when there's nothing else to do, just take pictures of the driver. This is what I saw for 6 hours. Give or take a couple million cornfields, as well.
Still bored? Take a picture of yourself!
*Side Note: My hair is much redder now. Got it done yesterday. Love it!

We ended up letting the kids watch some DVD's during the car ride. They were just so bored out of their skulls and not tired enough to nap. I was very nervous, but Sasha did fine with it.
Phew.

We stayed at this awesome bed and breakfast. Along with Sasha's car sickness, my other main concern was the sleeping situation. Since our two go to bed around 7:30, and we're pretty much sticklers with their schedule, there was no way we'd be able to sleep and live in the same hotel room. No way.

We looked for a hotel that had a suite available, with the bed(s) in a separate room. But, (and I'm not kidding here) we literally were in the middle of Nowhere, Illinois, surrounded by corn. Most of the hotels out there don't have suites. And the one we found was in Iowa and only had one queen-size bed. So, we would have had to bring their mattresses and put them on the floor so we didn't have to rent cots or anything.

Then I found the bed and breakfast. The owner was very sweet and completely surpassed every expectation we had. Our room was on the first floor, just 20 or so paces away from the main eating/tv/family room. We had one bedroom with a queen-size bed, a bathroom, and an adjoining bedroom/sitting room with a twin and trundle. There were even pocket doors between the two rooms to buffer out the noise.

So, we tucked the kids in bed, grabbed the bottle of wine we brought, and headed into the tv room to chill out until we went to bed. The owner even had a baby monitor we could use so we could hear the kids.

Breakfast was awesome. Delicious strata, fruit, bacon, etc. and always a full cup of coffee.

She even accommodated my gluten free diet. Everything she cooked was gluten free! Plus, I had my own jar of peanut butter cookies. Gluten free, of course! It was sooo nice to not have to worry about food.

Outside, she had a small fenced in yard with a swing set for the kids. Kim and I sat on the front porch and drank our coffee while the kids played.

We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. And if we go to the reunion in the years to come, we will definitely be staying there again.

More pictures and stories to come soon!

No comments: