Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reading

Reading has always been a priority in our house. When the kids were infants, hearing our voices as we read would help calm and relax them. When they were toddlers, it was about letter and word recognition. Learning shapes, objects, etc. and, of course, hearing stories. We have always read books at bedtime. Connor & Sasha look forward to it.

I think instilling the importance of books and reading is one of the reasons they are such good readers. Their teachers have told me that Connor is reading on about a 3rd grade level and Sasha isn't far behind.

Not long ago, we started reading chapter books. It took a little bit for them to get used to books without a picture on every page, but I knew their little brains were ready for the words.

For Christmas, I thought of getting them some of the Harry Potter books. But, I know absolutely nothing about the Harry Potter stories, so I asked a few friends. They said that it gets a bit dark as the series goes on, and may not be good for a 5yr old. Ok, scratch that idea. Then, someone mentioned they had bought some Roald Dahl books for her children and they loved them.

Roald Dahl? Holy cow! I hadn't heard that name since I was a kid. I LOOOOOVED the Roald Dahl books. I grew up with them.

I went on Amazon and found this box set:

The Twits?

The BFG?

James and the Giant Peach?

Oh, the memories!! I'm going to enjoy this as much as they are!

Sold.

I bought it and gave it to them for Christmas. It really is a great set. It comes in this nice box, which Connor has stored on top of his dresser.

So far, we have read James and the Giant Peach and Matilda. We are currently on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Last night, we read how Charlie, his parents and four grandparents were starving and struggling thru the harsh, cold winter. And how, while walking back from school one day, he found 50 pence on the ground and decided to go buy a bar of chocolate.

Sasha said:
No! He shouldn't spend that money! He should give it to his mom for groceries!

(She's so wise.)

And, when I read how Charlie had decided to buy a second chocolate bar instead of go home and give his mother the change, Sasha was absolutely beside herself! She totally disagreed with his poor money management.

But then! When I read how that second bar of chocolate held The Golden Ticket, the kids were literally on the edge of their seats. They were so wrapped up in this story. Clinging on to every word that came out of my mouth.

And when Charlie's Grandpa Joe reacted with a, "Yiiiipppppeeeee!!!" and danced around the room in excitement, Connor & Sasha burst into laughter. They were roaring!

It was so much fun. I enjoyed every moment of it. And, as a mother, I couldn't have been more proud or amazed. It was so cool.
I watched them see Charlie buy that chocolate bar and run home to tell his family in their heads. They didn't need pictures on the pages or a television to do it. They saw it vividly. And they were completely and absolutely enjoying hearing the story and picturing it in their heads.

In my opinion, this is a huge part of reading. Being able to picture it in your head. Letting the words take you somewhere you've never been or couldn't imagine going to. Becoming part of the story and not only understanding what you're reading, but feeling it, too.

They felt sadness when Charlie was starving and cold and sleeping on the floor of his drafty house in the winter. They felt excitement when the crowd gathered around Charlie when he found The Golden Ticket. And, when one person offered him fifty pounds for it, Sasha shook her head frantically and said,

*GASP* No way! Don't do it!

I look forward to our 30 minute (sometimes less) bedtime reads each night. It's time with them I know I won't have forever. So, I'm going to cherish every moment of it. And, hopefully, this will be the foundation of two future book-lovers. We shall see.

But, for now...for tonight...we have to go with Charlie to the chocolate factory and see what kind of magical things happen there.

Can't wait!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I have a house full of book lovers too! We have read the BFG twice now and James + the Giant Peach too. I think Charlie is up next. It is so exciting to see kids really connecting with a book and to be able to create that world in their imagination - no tv! What fun you guys are going to have!

Shana said...

Love! Nessa and I read the first Harry Potter, and have started the second. We also did a bunch of the Ramona books.