Our beautiful, very stupid, dog loves to eat rocks. And I don't mean just chew on them and spit them out. I mean actually chomp on them and swallow them. Whole.
Gulp.
Last year, almost to the day, Lexi started throwing up and had stopped pooping. (Sorry...TMI. There's going to be poop mentioned in this one.) An x-ray at the vet showed three rocks stuck in her intestine. We had two choices.
1. Wait for her to pass them. If she doesn't, it could kill her.
2. Have $1,300 surgery to have them removed. Yes, that's $1,300. American dollars. Ugh.
We chose option #2 and still have the rocks to prove it. Now she wears a muzzle most of the time she's outside. Poor gal.
So, yesterday, when she started throwing up...and did it 6 times in less than 24 hours...I was pretty sure we were looking at another "blockage". I called the vet this morning and they wanted me to bring her in right away.
I rarely take the dogs to the vet. No, scratch that, I never take them. Kim does it. It's a lot for me to handle. The dogs freak out and pull on the leash, which in turn stresses me out. Plus, I'm not very big or strong. Both of the dogs are. It's not a good combo.
So, when I told Kim I was taking Lexi to the vet with the kids in toe, he said, "How are you going to handle it?"
I said, "I dunno, but I gotta do what I gotta do."
And I did it.
And, boy, was it crazy. There I was with two 2 year olds and an 85lb dog, tugging me behind her. Thank goodness the kids were well behaved. Until they took Lexi away for her x-rays, that is.
Sasha couldn't understand where Lexi was. In fact, she asked me, "Where Lexi go?" about 35 times before we left. I tried to explain that they were taking a picture of Lexi's insides, blah, blah, blah. I'm not sure if she didn't understand what I was saying or if she just wanted Lexi near her, but Sasha decided to throw a fit.
A major two year old tantrum. On the floor at the vet's office. Ewww.
She did this while I was trying to talk to the vet about these rocks in Lexi's intestine and how she's going to give her some laxatives to help the rocks "pass", among other meds to help the situation. I don't think I retained anything she said. I had a screaming child at my feet. *sigh*
I picked up Sasha and she eventually calmed down, asking, "Where Lexi go?"
So, $233 later, we left the vet. Now we're pushing the laxatives and anti-nausea meds, waiting for the dog to poop. I just keep hoping she doesn't crap on my floor instead of throw up. Not sure which is worse. No, scratch that, I think I know.
If this treatment doesn't work, we have to consider surgery or putting her down. But, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
I sure hope we don't have to.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I hope Lexi is ok. I love the new background - it's starting to look like home around here!
Post a Comment