Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Opposites attract

Most of you know that Kim is a big collector. He loves sports memoriabilia and Marvel Comics stuff (Spider-man, Hulk, X-Men, etc.)

Once, he paid $200 for a recalled Spider-Man poster.

A poster.

Made out of paper.

I just don't get it. I do not collect things, don't see the point of it. Well, I did collect shotglasses for a while in my early twenties, but I don't think that counts. Anyway, it's not like he's going to sell any of it.
We've had many conversations like this:

Kim: "Do you know how much this is/will be worth?!"

Me: "That's great! But, are you going to sell it?"

Kim: "Are you kidding me? No way!"

Me: "So, then why does it matter how much it's worth if you aren't going to get any money for it?"

Like I said before, I just don't get it. If you don't sell what you've collected, what're you going to do with it? Pass it down after you die? To people that don't collect?

That's very kind of you.

But, no matter how I feel about collecting, Kim loves it.

Last night, he said, "I know what I want for my birthday."
He asked me to pull up a website called Sideshow Collectibles to show me this:


It's a 12" Iron Man figurine. It's currently backordered, but you could pre-order it. It will be shipped to you in the summer of 2009.

There are a bunch of pictures of this thing on the website.

Here we see how his hand glows.

And, in case you needed to see it at a different angle, here's another glowy hand shot.
When I pulled this picture up, Kim said, "Look at the detail! The rivets!"

I swear, those were his exact words.

Then he asked me to, "Find the picture of the calves......Isn't that awesome?!"

Awesome.
I think this means you can make it into a bust, if you want to disassemble it for a new look.

And! The head (or is it a helmet?) comes off, too, for that decapitated look. If that's your thing.

I think this is supposed to look like Robert Downey Jr. (the guy that played Iron Man in the movie). Kim thinks it looks, "just like him." I don't think so.

All this can be YOUR'S for the amazing price of $159.99.

I'll say it again, I just don't get it. But, I know Kim does. And I support him with his hobby.

And he probably will get this for his birthday. I mean, how could I not get it for him?

Look at those rivets!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Lauren, I am dying reading your post. My husband is a sport fanatic but he doesn't collect anything. Now my brother has the first edition of Marvel comics and baseball cards worth I don't know what....lol So I get Kim's passion. You have to get it for him. Look at those calves...lol
It's good that he has a passion for something. Hey, he could pass it along to the grandkids and they could sell it...lol

Laney said...

Wow, ya. That's.... awesome Kim. Really cool!

Gina said...

I think it looks like David Blaine. hahaha!