Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dustyn The Wonder Teen Update

Since everyone has been asking me how Dustyn's doing, and I never really know the whole scoop, I asked him to send me an email so I can post it on here. I have to admit, he did a pretty damn good job writing it up. I expected a couple sentences. He wrote a freakin' novel.

He's never at a loss for words. Just like his step-mother.

I'll be posting pics he sent me sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Anyway, here you go!
Straight from Cali...it's Dustyn!


Hello everyone!!

How is everyone doing?

First I want to say that I miss everyone a lot. I knew I would but even so, I can't wait to see everyone at christmas time!

So how am I doing? I have to admit when I got here, there were many things that I absolutely hated, and things that I still hate! I hate most every Californian I've met so far. They are lazy, and they are mean! I hate the high ways because they are 6 lanes and it still takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to go what would normally take 30 minutes!

But enough about the negative. I have been liking it more and more. Usually on sunday mornings we go surfing at Zuma Beach in Malibu. It's really fun, plus the ladies are hot! Haha.

I have made some friends from work and we hang out all the time. One of my friends lives downtown Hollywood and she has the coolest view from her rooftop. Our house is still infested (with cockroaches, if you didn't know) so Bobby, my roommate, and I are looking into moving soon. We will probably move in with our friends Josh and Trevor, they are extras too and we all want to move to Burbank and it is looking like we can pay the same price between all of us and I wont have to live in a roach infested little mexico where I'm scared to park my car on the street!

Anyway, school is going very well, I've aced everything I've had to do so far and I plan on keeping it up to get straight A's. My goal is to get into UCLA and I think straight A's should help out in that and maybe even get a scholarship!

I work too, on Wednesdays and Fridays and sometimes during the weekend but it pays well for now and the job is fun. If you don't already know, I'm a "background actor" to put it fancy, I'm an extra on TV shows and movies. I've only been doing it for a couple weeks but it is by far the easiest job I've ever had, I literally don't do anything but stand around on set and get paid for it, and the food is free and awesome! I also learn so much about this industry I want to get into, from acting, to crew work, to directing.

I recently had a big deal at work. I was sitting with my friends in the holding area when they grabbed me and told me I was going to be featured, which is when you're up close to the camera. This was my third day of work and they told me that Toni Colette, the main actress, was going to be saying a line to me as I walked by her. They told me to react to it leaving me to actually act on screen! I've never acted on this kind of a set before and I was a little nervous so I got it wrong a couple times. But then I got into it and ended up giving Toni a look that got a laugh out of the director, in a good way! After that Mark Mylod, the director started calling me by my first name! Can you believe it, a big Hollywood director calling me by my name! Again I was a little star struck but got over it quickly remembering that I was the big star here haha.

After every other take, the two main actors, well... 3 main actors! haha would walk over to the directors chairs and watch what they did, I walked over with them to check out my outstanding performance thinking of ways I could top it, but it wasn't easy!

Anyway we finished up takes in the arcade we were shooting in and went outside to set up for another shot. I saw mark sitting on the bench and figured this was my chance to get in good with him, maybe he'd be cool and help me out down the line! So I sat with him and we had a casual conversation, while inside I was contemplating asking him about an internship, but I knew it would only make me the guy that he probably must bug him every day. So I let it go and ended up sending his talent agent a letter about an internship, maybe in Chicago, that is where he said his next project will be! We will see how that works out!

Not much else going on out here, I don't like my school, but I'm doing well so that I can get out of there. I love work and it's going pretty well. Bobby my roommate is doing well, he's a little farther along than I am in the acting thing, he's in the TV Union now and trying to get an agent.

I can't wait to come home for Christmas and see everyone, especially go to a Bears game already!!

ps If you want to see the one and only Dustyn Lotz on TV, the show I was on with Toni Colette is called "The United States of Tara" and it's on Showtime the 6th episode titled 'Transition'.

Also I'm on Criminal Minds at the funeral of the dead guy cop sitting in the middle of the second row of seats.

And I'm in Hannah Montana "auditioning for a band at school" I'm in the hallway.

OK everyone, talk to you all soon.

Miss you Connor and Sasha.
Dustyn


Thanks, Dustyn. We all miss you, too.
This place isn't the same w/out you!

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I didn't know Dustyn was out here. I think this means you MUST visit Cali :)

Laney said...

I love hearing about his background acting - sooo cool!