Saturday, October 18, 2008

Trick-or-Treating

Last night, we met my friend Liz and her daughter Lucy to go on a Halloween Walk. They had the event set up at a local park. Along the park's trail, they had characters and displays set up and they gave candy to the kids. It was for children aged 1-6, so it wasn't scary.

Liz had said she heard that it gets pretty packed, so we arrived around 5:30 to get in line. The event ran from 6-7pm.

Luckily, Sasha's costume arrived in the mail yesterday, so she had something to wear. I had begun piecing together a costume of some sort, but it would have been pretty pathetic. I was really happy when I saw her costume in the mail. She was a flower.

Connor was a bumble bee. He was probably the only boy bumble bee there. I'm sure he'll thank me for that when he's older.

Here we are, waiting in line. You can tell by the look on Connor's face that he wasn't sure what was going on.

Sasha was enjoying pointing out all of the costumes as each child arrived. There were some really cute ones.
Like this little Tinkerbell!
This is Lucy. Isn't she the cutest thing ever?
Sasha was amazed when she saw her friends from the Hundred Acre Wood.

And, then we saw Elmo. This Elmo was kinda weird looking, but I suppose he did the job. I think Connor was a bit suspicious, though.
Then, he gave Connor a hug.
Sasha was in love. She was soooo happy when Elmo gave Connor that hug.
Our little flower.
I'm so glad I found this costume. She was warm and looked adorable. We got many compliments. It's the folks from the Wizard of Oz!
Sasha didn't want to leave them when we were done taking the picture. She just stood there.
As you can see, Connor was out of there before I even took the picture. Lucy was taking candy from the characters and putting it in Darth Vader's bucket. This kid scored, big time, by getting in line behind Lucy.
Aren't they cute?
Lucy and her mommy, Liz.
Spider-man!
It took about 20-30 minutes to go through the trail.
All of the kids did really well carrying their buckets and keeping up with the crowd.

Afterwards, they had snacks and hot chocolate for us to munch on.I'm glad we got there early because when we had finished the line was 10x longer than it was when we started. After the snack, the kids were tired, hungry and plain-ol' done with the whole thing. So, our timing was perfect.

This is the kind of stuff that Kim and I dreamed about doing when we were going through all of our infertility treatments and stuff. Honestly, there was a time when we never thought it would happen. We'd never buy costumes or go trick-or-treating.

And, it was everything I dreamed it would be.
I look forward to doing it again next year.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Looks like fun! I don't think we have Halloween events like this. G is going to have to just wait for the real day. We won't really trick or treat, but will probably hang at a friend's house where lots of trick or treaters come by.

Laney said...

Wow that sounds like a little dream! So picturesque. Your kids are ADORABLE in their costumes!