"C'mon, Mommy! Pay wif me, Mommy."
"Read book, Mommy. Wet's pay!"
Sometimes, I am too busy to stop and play. Or maybe I am just too tired. Maybe I want some "me" time to check my email or talk on the phone.
Whatever the reason, each time I say, "Not right now, honey." I feel soooo guilty.
I know things need to get done around the house. I know I can't spend every minute with the kids. I know I need some "me" time.
But, they're only young once. Before we know it, they'll be off to college and moving out of the house. They won't be here to snuggle with or to read to. Or tickle. Or jump in mud puddles with. Or play catch with. Or push on a swing.
They won't need us to brush their teeth or help them with a puzzle. They won't want to spend time with us.
I've been thinking a lot about this lately.
Then, today, I ran across this poem:
Busy Hands
My hands were busy through the day,
I didn’t have much time to play
The little games you asked me to.
I didn’t have much time for you.
I’d wash your clothes,
I’d sew and cook,
But when you’d bring your picture book
And ask me, please, to share your fun,
I’d say “A little later, Son.”
I’d tuck you in all safe at night,
And hear your prayers and turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door.
I wish I’d stayed a minute more.
For life is short, and years rush past,
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side.
His precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no children’s games to play,
No good night kiss, no prayers to hear.
That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands once busy now lie still.
My days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I might go back and do
The little things you asked me to.
This brought tears to my eyes.
It is so true!
The children we fought so hard to have are HERE. They are the most precious little people I know. I love spending time with them. I love teaching them things like how to cook, be kind to people, love life.
I think I need to refocus on what really matters.
Make my priorities, truly a priority.
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Beautiful. So true. I find myself always trying to balance the reality with what my heart truly desires, which is to always spend time with G. If we could only hire full-time housekeepers and personal secretaries.
Oh, Lauren. I think about these things every day. You know what, the chores and being online and baking and whatever I do could not matter more to me than playing with Lucy. Yeah, there are some times I am on the computer or doing something where I feel bad for a minute, but I check myself. All of these things you say are so true. You can not have back these moments. The dishes will wait. The house doesn't have to be so clean. All that matters is her. Me and her and the moments we share. I know you know this. I know you are an amazing mother and you will do what's best for them. Love your writing.
I agree -- such a beautiful and common sentiment. How to find balance?
I started having a dedicated play time most mornings... this is the time for me to play on my son's terms (usually for 30 to 45 mins). My oldest son (5) calls all the shots and my youngest son (2) and I play along.
It does seem to "fill his cup" a bit, and create some space for me to get other stuff done during the day. Plus, I get to hear all that he is thinking about and see his imagination at work.
Post a Comment