The weather couldn't be more perfect for trick-or-treating. It's 68F and sunny. Beautiful.
You never know what you're going to get this time of year. Sunny is always a plus. Warm temperature is icing on top. Heck, as long as it's not raining, I think everyone around here is happy. Trick-or-treating in the rain is miserable.
Well, for the parents, that is. I'm not sure the kids even notice. They're too hopped up on sugar and general Halloween spirit to care. It's free candy!
I am really looking forward to walking the kids around in their costumes. Our trick-or-treating is from 5-8pm. It's pretty neat that it is actually on Halloween this year. If Halloween falls on a weekday, they usually have trick-or-treating on the closest weekend.
This can make things pretty confusing if you don't pay attention to the schedule that the village posts online. Last weekend, the town over had their trick-or-treating on Sunday. So, a lot of their kids spilled over into our neighborhood.
I had gone out and Kim called me saying, "Are you sure trick-or-treat isn't today? All these kids keep showing up at the door."
Luckily for them we had candy. I'd feel bad turning a kid down because I didn't have candy. That just ain't right.
I'm not sure who started moving the trick-or-treating to the weekend, but personally I don't like it. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it. Like, it's safer during the day or parent's are off of work so they can go with their kids, blah, blah. IMO, it takes something out of it.
When I was a kid, we trick-or-treated on Halloween, no matter what day of the week it was. I remember rushing home from school, throwing down my bookbag and getting into my costume. Oh, the excitement!!
Trick-or-treating involved a large group of my neighborhood friends. We'd trek all around town, filling up our buckets. Many times, having to make a stop at home to empty our loot and make room for Round 2, or 3.
The older I got, the wiser I got, and eventually brought a pillowcase with me. Boy, did that thing get heavy by the day's end!
Parent's rarely came with us. It was known that we were to be home by dark. No later. Once night hit, some Moms would take us to another town to get more candy. Most times, though, my brother and I would go home, dump our goodies on the living room floor and sort through it all. We'd have some kind of Halloween show/movie on tv. The older kids would be out, still trick-or-treating in the dark.
It's amazing how things change. Now they have a set time for it. No trick-or-treating past 8pm. (Usually it's from 2-5p) And they pick a day that they want to have it on. Not the obvious 10/31.
Either way, I'm excited to take my little bumblebee and flower out today.
I'll be sure to post pictures tomorrow. :)
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Huh - I thought only New England towns screwed with the halloween date. have fun tonight!
Post a Comment