Fall is definitely here and I've begun hibernating. Poor kids haven't played outside in...well, actually I can't remember the last time they played outside.
I hate being cold. And 50F is cold. For me.
And since the kids aren't old enough to play outside unsupervised yet, we've been staying in the house.
Did I mention that I hate being cold?
They're getting squirrely and bored. And I've begun going through closets, cabinets and the basement, getting rid of unnecessary items and organizing.
It's going to be a long winter if I don't suck it up and get outside with these two.
Today, we're going by the vet's to drop off some Lexi poop and pick up some of her medicines. For those of you that don't know, Lexi was coughing up blood earlier this week. We brought her to the vet. They ran an x-ray and found a mass in her lung. And $400 later (ugh) they said that she could either have a fungal infection in her lung, parasites, or lung cancer.
Well, I am very sad to report that the tests for the fungal infection both came back negative.
Our vet said it is very unlikely that she has parasites in her lung, but doesn't want to assume it's cancer. So, we're putting her on a deworming powder and antibiotic. And they're testing her poop for worms. (Gross, I know. Sorry.)
Then, after 2 weeks of treatment, we'll take another x-ray. If the mass remains, odds are it's lung cancer. In that case, we will just let nature run its course. We will not pursue cancer treatment.
I have not been taking this whole thing very well. I keep thinking about how hard Lexi's life has been, with the exception of the past 3 years when she's lived with us.
When we adopted her, she was severely underweight, paranoid and neglected. She weighed 57lbs. Nearly half of the 90lbs she weighs now. She is a lover, a pleaser, and nothing would maker her happier than to sit on your lap and get a good cuddle and scratch behind the ear.
When we brought her home from the shelter, she didn't know how to play with any toys, what to do with a bone, and wasn't housebroken. We had a lot of work cut out for us with her. But, it all paid off.
She is a crazy rock eater, but we love her dearly.
And I don't want to imagine our life without her. And I don't want her to be in any pain or discomfort. It's so sucky. You'd think that after the rough start in life that she had, she would at least catch a break and be able to finish it happily and "normally". Not get cancer at around 7 years old.
So not fair.
Anyway, that's what we're doing today. Please keep your fingers crossed for our Lexi Girl.
I've been taking a lot of pictures of Lexi and the kids this week.


2 comments:
I really hope that Lexi is okay. I have a dear friend who recently went through this with her pup and unfortunately it was cancer. They did choose to treat with surgery but she still went quickly. I think if it is cancer that you are making the right decision to let her go, hopefully as pain free as possible. ((HUGS))
Me too! I really hope she is okay. What a sweet doggie.
Post a Comment